1) What are the benefits of VLAN?
- They allow logical grouping of users by function.
- They can enhance network security by separating sensitive data traffic from other network traffic.
- They increase the number of broadcast domains while decreasing the size of the broadcast domains.
- A more efficient use of bandwidth can be achieved allowing many logical networks to use the same network infrastructure.
- Broadcast storms can be mitigated by increasing the number of broadcast domains, thus reducing their size.
2) What command can be used to reset the VTP managment domain to NULL ?
SwitchName#delete vlan dat
3) Why do we assign Ports to VLAN ?
- To isolate broadcast traffic
- to logically group hosts according to function
- To increase network security
4) What do you know about 802.1Q ?
- 802.1Q native VLAN frames are untagged by default.
- 802.1Q trunks can use 10 Mb/s Ethernet interfaces.
- 802.1Q trunks should have VLANs that are the same at both ends.
5) What two protocols that are used to carry more than one VLAN over a single link?
6) A switch running VTP on a server mode, what steps are required to erase the VTP Database of VLANS on that switch?
a) Erase the vlan dat file
b) Reload the switch
7) State three of the VLANs advantage
1- VLANs establish broadcast domains in switched networks.
2- VLANs allow access to network services based on department, not physical location.
3- VLANs can greatly simplify adding, moving, or changing hosts on the network.
8) What do you know about VLAN 1 and VLAN 1002 Through 1005 ?
VLAN 1 is the default Ethernet VLAN.
VLAN 1002 through 1005 are automatically created and cannot be deleted.
9) An IP Phone is installed along with a computer in the same network, To provide more security you need to isolate the IP Phone traffic from the
other computer's traffic, What device will you use and what technology would you implement ?
Using a Switch as a device and VLAN to isolate the traffic.
10) If VLAN 100 is not configured on your switch, And you typed that command : switchport access vlan 100, How will the switch respond to that command?
The command is accepted and the respective VLAN is added to vlan dat.
11) What are the characteristics of a switch running VTP in client mode ?
- The local vlan configuration is updated only when an update that has a higher configuration revision number is received.
- When switches in vtp client mode are rebooted, they send a vtp advertisement request to the vtp sewers.
12) What mode in VTP that enables switch to forward only VTP advertisments and does not synchronize with other switches in the VTP domain?
13) What command do you type to set a password for VTP to validate the source of VTP advertisments sent between switches?
vtp password mypasswordhere
14) When you are configuring router interface for VLAN trunking, What three things you should consider?
1- One IP network or subnetwork for each subinterface
2- subinterface encapsulation identifiers that match vlan tags
3- one subinterface per vlan
15) What protocol is responsible for sharing VLAN information?
16) By default, every port on a switch is assigned to VLAN1, to avoid unauthorized access managment access, What do you recommend?
- Move the management VLAN to something other than default VLAN.
- Shutdown all unused ports in the Catalyst switch.
17) State two benefits of the VLAN Trunking Protocol
- VTP simplifies switch administration by allowing switches to automatically share VLAN configuration information.
- VTP helps to limit configuration errors by keeping VLAN naming consistent across the VTP domain.
18) Which approach should you use to confsgnre the extended vlan range (1006 througn 4094) on a swtich?
Configure the switch to be in VTP Transparent mode
19) What does this command mean ?
switchport trunk native vlan 999
It designates VLAN 999 for untagged traffic
20) What is the result of applying this command?
Switch(config)#vtp mode client
The Swtich will forward VTP Summary advertisements
The Swtich will process VTP Summary advertisements
21) A network that has a single Router and a single Swtich, The switch has been configured with two vlans and route-on-a-stick is being
configured, A trunk link has been created between Switch and Router, How many router interfaces are required for VLANs to communicate?
Two since we have only two vlans
22) A switch currently has switch ports assigned to a VLAN, What is the effect of adding switchports to a new VLAN?
One more broadcast domain will be created.
Since each VLAN has it's own broadcast.
23) What are the benefits of using VTP?
- It maintains VLAN consistency across a switched network.
- It allows VLAN information to be automatically propagate throughout the switching environment.