+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help : Forgot password

Help : Forgot password

I have that Cisco Router and i set a password on it last night and forgot the password , and now my manager wants me to access the router to modify some configurations and i can`t tell him that i forgot the password and configurations has to be reset again , as that would get me fired , please help me and i`d really appreciate it.

Calm down , the solution is so easy and simple , please follow my steps :

1- Connect to the router through a console port and restart the router [Make sure that the previous configuration on router are saved on startup-config]
    2- Now after you restarted the router and while boot sequencing is happening BREAK IT [break it by holding CTRL + BREAK keys] that should get you to MonitorROM Mode
    3- Once you are on MONROM change the Configureation Register to 0x2142 and then reset the router
    Code:
    romon1 >confreg 0x2142
    romon2 >reset
    4- The previous step will bypass Start-up Config [Yes you will have no configurations when you reset BUT do not worry your startup-config still there]
    5- Now go to the privilege mode
    6- Now you are on privilege mode , okay good , now get load your startup-config
    Code:
    Device#copy start run
    7- Now the start-up config is loaded , you can verify by typing show run , okay now you are in privilege mode and the configuration are loaded , did you notice that you are in privlege mode without being asked about password ? GREAT!!
    8- Now go to config mode and assign a new password or secret
    9- Save the modified config to startup-config
    Code:
    copy run start
    10- Now it is time to change the Configuration register back to its original status or your start-up config wont be considered whenever you restart the router and to do that reload the router and Perform a break just like step 2
    11- Now type
    Code:
    romon1 >confreg 0x2102
    romon2 >reset
    Finally now everything should be fine and good luck

I tried these steps and it WORKED , thank you so much for your detailed steps

+ Reply to Thread