+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Explain : STP

Explain : STP

I am studying CCNA now , and i have been reading about STP on the book and i can`t understand it , it seems to be hard and i`ll really appreciate it if somebody could explain it to me.

STP stands for [Spanning Tree Protocol]
    Okay so on our networks a redundant connection could happen , a redundant connection for example two switches are connected to each other with two or more links and it could be direct or indirect , okay so you might be wondering could it be that bad ?
    Yes because when a switch send a packet it will be sent to all ports except the port it cam from , so two switches connected with two links will lead to sending the same packet to the original switch on the other port and the original switch will send it again to the other switch on the other port and so on , that will lead to generate a Broadcast Storm that will destroy all devices on the network.
    So the STP function is to avoid redundant connection by closing one of the two ports so redundant connection could not happen.
    Okay so how port are closed , are they closed automatically or manually ?
    Well a switch closes one of the ports automatically using some algorithm.
    So what is that algorithm ?
    Actually that can be done by electing a switch to be the root switch and when that root switch is being elected , all other switches start to find the shortest route to the root switch.
    And how that root switch is being elected ?
    That will depend on the manufacturing date of the switch , so the oldest switch in manufacturing date is being elected as the root switch , but notice that is a bad idea as that old switch could be a 10MBps port that will lead to slow network performance, and to avoid that you need to elect the root switch manually.

Finally hope that you got it all right now.

+ Reply to Thread