+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is VirtualStore folder for and how to disable?

Question What is VirtualStore folder for and how to disable?

Hi All,

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and noticed when running some tools it's writing data to C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\VirtualStore. Any idea what this is for and if I can turn it off? Someone told me it has to do with UAC.

Dylan

VirtualStore is a UAC feature. If you turn off UAC or run a program as Administrator then VirtualStore will not be used to store data. Virtual Store folders are only used when the application doesn't contain the manifest which controls the UAC prompts. Legacy applications don't have this manifest and that's why it automatically stores data in VirtualStore folder. To even go more in detail User Account Control (UAC) virtualization covers 2 things based on what I have found:

- File System Virtualization
    - Windows Registry Virtualization

File System Virtualization is UAC's File Virtualization Filter Driver
    (%SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\Luafv.sys) which implements file system virtualization.

So even windows registry has VirtualStore keys under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT to store data from legacy software
    that run with user access and not admin unless you specify to run as Administrator.

So in conclusion the UAC is responsible for VirtualStore and I think it's a good thing to keep the OS safe. Some users don't understand it and they think it's bad. I hope I explained enough to make it easy to understand what is it for and why it's there.

Regards,
    Samuel

I see. Thanks for explaining in detail.

Dylan

+ Reply to Thread