+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using sa account to login SQL Server 2008 R2

Using sa account to login SQL Server 2008 R2

Hello,

I have MS SQL 2008 Server installed on my system and I'm trying to login using the default sa account but it does not work. When I try to reset the password in SQL Server Management Studio I get the following error:

Cannot set a credential for principal 'sa'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 15535)

Anyone know how to fix this error?

You can change the password of default user 'sa' in SQL Server 2008:

1. Go to SQL Server Properties->Security tab and change the mode to SQL Server authentication mode

2. Go to security->logins, open SA login properties
    A. Uncheck "Enforce password policy" and "Enforce password expiration" check box there if you decide to use weak password
    B. Assign password to 'sa' user

3. Select the "Map To Credential" check box on the General tab of the Login Properties for user 'sa'

4. You may get the following error after above steps. If this is the error then goto step 5.

Error: 'User is not associated with a trusted sql server connection'

5. In SQL Server Management Studio, Right-click the Server name, select Properties->Security. Under Server Authentication, select SQL Server and Windows Authentication Mode.

6. Make sure the 'sa' (at status tab of sa properties) is enabled after restart the server

7. The server must be stopped and re-started before the changes can take effect

+ Reply to Thread